Subscription boxes are everywhere these days, and they are all the rage within many circles. If you have clothing subscription boxes on your list of things to check out, this is information that can benefit you. Learn the ins and outs of clothing subscription boxes, including the pros and cons, so that you can make informed decisions about the best choices for you.
Some popular clothing subscription boxes include:
- Nordstrom Trunk Club
- Stitch Fix
- Rent the Runway
- Dia & Co
- Le Tote
Of course, this is just a tiny sampling of the options available. There are many more out there. Each one has its unique model for operating, and some offer better value than others. It is up to you which clothing subscription boxes you would like to try and even, to some degree, which ones to continue after one or two initial purchases.
There are quite a few advantages for those who dare to try clothing subscription boxes. Some of these make them well worth the effort. You will have to decide if some of these advantages appeal to you.
- Convenience. New clothing items are shipped to your door each month for you to try.
- No need to hit the mall to try on clothing.
- A personal stylist who selects outfits for your body shape and according to your style guide.
- Exposure to colors, fabrics, and even styles you may not normally select yourself. Some you may discover are quite flattering.
- Creates monthly updates for your wardrobe.
- Many offer specific budget parameters to make budgeting your wardrobe easier.
- Potential savings. Most offer some type of discount if you elect to keep some or all of the items in your box.
As you can see, there are quite a few advantages to keep in mind when choosing a subscription box service for clothing.
While there are plenty of advantages, there are a few potential disadvantages to keep in mind. Consider these things before you dive in with any clothing subscription box.
- Someone you do not know is styling you. They do not know your style, tastes, and preferences and only have your answers to style guide questions to guide them. You may get some amazing finds or some real duds — all in the same box.
- Costs. Some charge styling fees that you are required to pay even if nothing in the “box” is a good fit for your body, your style, or your tastes.
- Costs of forgetting to return clothing items on time. That means you are left to purchase those items, whether you like them or not.
- Risks of overbuying. While you can get great discounts by purchasing all the items in a particular box, the odds are good that you will not wear all the items in a given box. Other people find the hassle of returning the items to be unpleasant and keep items they would not otherwise purchase as well.
- Some people find that ending their subscriptions is difficult and problematic as well. It is easy to get in, but some of these companies make it quite difficult to cancel.
It is always wise to consider the potential drawbacks from the start. So, if you decide to start a clothing box subscription, do so with your eyes wide open.
Is It a Good Deal?
Good deals are in the eyes of the beholder. For some people, the advantages of clothing subscription boxes far outweigh the potential disadvantages. Those who gain the most value from these services are the people who are more adventurous in their clothing choices and willing to try new things. If you have a particular style you are not ready to stray from, subscription boxes may cause more hassle than help.
- Subscription clothing services are convenient to use.
- Subscription services can help you budget your wardrobe more effectively.
- They can easily end up costing more than you anticipate.
- You might not like all the styling choices selected for you.
- Value, in these matters, is in the eye of the beholder.
- All subscription clothing services offer something a little different. You may wish to try more than one if you decide to take the plunge.